The Oxfordshire Rail Corridor Study, a blueprint for how rail could develop and support predicted economic and housing growth in the county, has been published.
The report has been produced by a joint working party bringing together Network Rail, Great Western Railway, Chiltern Railways, Oxford City Council, Oxfordshire County Council, the Oxfordshire Growth Board and the Department for Transport.
The proposals include:
- Increasing capacity through Oxford station, including a new platform at the west side of the station
- Additional services at Hanborough station on the Cotswold Line
- Reopening the Cowley branch line in Oxford to passenger trains
- Additional infrastructure to provide greater capacity for trains through the Didcot area
- A new station to serve Wantage and Grove
To provide capacity for extra trains between Hanborough and Oxford, the study says improvements would be needed at Wolvercote North Junction, where the Cotswold Line leaves the Oxford to Banbury route, and double track should be reinstated between the junction and Hanborough station, where an extra platform would be needed.
Click here for more information and to download the full report.